Since 1970, April 22nd has been celebrated as a day to honor environmental protection.
Today, there are vast, global issues affecting that environment including climate change, ocean pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, polar cap meltdown and disappearing and endangered species from honey bees to polar bears.
The saying “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” resonates on Earth Day because each of us can take steps to preserve our planet.
· Start with buying a reusable straw.
· Use purified filter water instead of individual plastic bottles.
· Bring a bag to the supermarket to carry your goods.
· Walk up and down stairs instead of using the elevator.
· Spend a day walking a beach and picking up litter.
· Contribute to conservation causes. (We’ve mentioned more than a few in our posts here.)
· Support community gardens and farmer’s markets.
· Volunteer at environmental organizations.
· Repair rather than replace appliances and electronics.
· Start today in honor of Earth Day.
· Repeat tomorrow and thereafter.
# # #
Steven J. Schleider, MAI, LEED-AP BD+C
President, Metropolitan Valuation SErvices